Do you ever get nervous or uncomfortable at your local gym sometimes or in a new gym environment?
Feeling uncomfortable in the gym is something that everyone goes through a few times than they would like to. It is something absolutely normal! I feel uncomfortable and nervous there too! I actually felt that way yesterday. You aren’t going to get rid of those nerves until you go to the gym a few times and get used to the environment.
Here are some of my top tips:
1) Knowledge is power!
- Always go to the gym with a plan. Make a list of 5-6 exercises that you are going to do. Make sure to include a warm up and a stretching portion into your plan.
2) Leave your ego at the door and check your form!
- Make sure to watch how to do the exercises on YouTube before stepping into the gym, so you have an idea how to do them. Have YouTube on standby so you can watch them again at the gym.
3) Pick a space, any space, anywhere!
- If you don’t want to walk around the gym at the moment especially during rush hour, that is absolutely fine. Choose an area that you want to work out in, grab your equipment and sweat it out.
4) Are you a morning, afternoon or evening person?
- What time of the day do you have the most energy? Most gyms are packed to the brim after work and it’s hard to find equipment. Try working out first thing in the morning, during your lunch break or late at night.
5) Cute outfit!
- What outfit should I wear to the gym? If you are like me, you probably like to wear something cute yet practically to the gym. I find wearing something new or a pair of my favourite leggings helps boost up my confidence. There is no shame whatsoever wearing your favourite top, leggings, sports bra to get your sweat on.
After some time, you’ll grow confident and will start to move around the gym once you know what you are doing. Don’t worry about people watching you, most times they are too focused on what they are doing. If they are looking, ignore them.
Do you have other tips that I didn’t include on this list?
Until next time,